HOLY MOTHER OF GRAMMY PERFORMANCES.
I’ve been digesting Beyoncé’s slayage for almost 24 hours now and I’m still on some sort of strange high. As soon as she announced via Instagram that she and Jay Z are expecting twins, I was preparing myself for this performance. I knew it’d be a show and I was right about that. What I didn’t expect was the amount of hate speech and insane insults I’ve seen going around in regards to what I see as a visually stunning, culturally significant masterpiece.
Let me break it down for all my other white people who don’t seem to get it:
- She was not playing dress up. How about before us white people pretend to make EVERYTHING about us, we do some research?
- If you don’t want to do the research, I’ll share mine with you. Last night’s performance was an ode to multiple goddesses of African, Hindu and Roman culture. Beyonce took this opportunity to teach women of color about their roots… an example us white gals should applaud. (Check out this article for more information.)
- I’ve also seen people saying Adele gave her a participation trophy??? I’m sorry, what? Again, these claims are coming from the white people who are insecure about literally everything EXCEPT their whiteness. Adele’s tribute to Beyoncé was inspiring. Women sticking up for each other… that’s what I saw.
- Again with Adele, I’ve seen people also freaking out over the fact that she could possibly have Black friends. WHHHAAATTTT!!!! She talked about what Lemonade meant to her Black friends and whites lost their shit. I don’t get it. White people suck.
- And finally, until we, as a group, can recognize and acknowledge the multilayered meaning and significance Lemonade has for people, and women in particular, of color, we need to keep our mouths shut.
- If you are a white person and do understand, educate your fellow white people who don’t get it before they blow up somewhere because I’ve got news…Beyoncé isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.