I’m sorry that I didn’t come up with a more fun name for these… but let’s just be real: they’re cinnamon rolls, why mess with a good thing?
To be completely honest with you, I thought these were going to turn out as a major failure since I’ve never attempted homemade cinnamon rolls, but I surprised myself! Since a friend of mine (you know who you are) is bugging me for the recipe, I figured I might as well share it with all of you!
- 1 cup unsweetened plain cashew milk
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, divided (I prefer Earth Balance)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups Gluten Free all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp organic cane sugar, divided
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp coconut milk
- Heat cashew milk and 3 Tbsp of butter in a large microwavable bowl in 30 second increments until the butter is melted. Be careful, you don’t want it to boil at any point.
- Let the milk and butter cool down to about the temperature of bathwater (roughly 110 degree if you want to measure, I didn’t.)
- Add one packet of instant rising yeast to the bowl and set it aside for 10 minutes to activate. Sprinkle in 1 Tbsp of sugar and the salt after 10 minutes and stir to combine.
- Add in the flour, being sure to add gradually, stirring as you go. Once the dough becomes to sticky to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead it a couple of times until it forms a loose ball.
- Rinse out your mixing bowl and then coat it with grapeseed oil (or another oil with little to no flavor) and transfer the dough back into the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for an hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a thin rectangle. Brush dough with 3 Tbsp melted vegan butter and sprinkle the top (or dump if you’re about that life) with 1/4 cup sugar and 1 Tbsp. cinnamon (adjust these according to your own preference!)
- Tightly roll up the dough into a cylinder shape with the seam side down. With a serrated knife, cut the dough into 10 pretty even sections and place them in a buttered (I used coconut oil cooking spray) 8×8 inch pan (it’s a brownie pan y’all). Brush the top with the remaining melted butter and cover with plastic wrap.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees now, and while it’s heating up, allow the dough to rise a little bit more (don’t freak out if it doesn’t look any different!)
- Bake rolls for 25-30 minutes.
- While the cinnamon rolls are baking, prepare your glaze by mixing 1 cup of organic powdered sugar, sifted with 2 Tbsp of coconut milk. Stir until smooth (adding more sugar and vanilla if you want to taste.)
- Serve immediately or else everyone else in your house will eat them and you won’t get one.
If you use this recipe, make sure to post a picture of your creation with the #TheLaneOnline so I can see what you come up with!