Story time! My grandma got me a veggie spiraling tool for Christmas and I had yet to even open the package until today. I wanted Italian food but I also didn’t want a heavy meal either. Solution? Zoodles.
I’ve had them before but I had never attempted them on my own and now I don’t know why I was so scared of them. This was honestly easier than boiling water and making sure regular noodles don’t stick to the pot.
I sent a picture of the final project to my friend who immediately informed me that I must post this recipe, so here we are. I made this up completely on the fly and it turned out to be pretty close to perfection.
This dish is full of vegetables, completely raw, fresh, light and perfect for a picnic outside!
FOR THE ZOODLES:
4 large zucchinis
FOR THE SAUCE:
4 roma tomatos
1.5 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. black pepper
4 fresh basil leaves
1 Tbsp. olive oil
Sea salt to taste
FOR THE PARM:
I cup raw cashews
1 packet nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. sea salt
- Using the spiraling tool (I will link mine below), make your zoodles. Use all 4 zucchinis. Set aside.
- Chop all 4 tomatoes into chucks (whatever size will fit in your blender) and blend until relatively smooth, adding garlic as you go.
- Roughly chop up 4 fresh basil leaves, add into blender along with pepper and salt.
- Blend again until well combined. (It will look pinkish instead of red.) The sauce will separate, so either stir it before serving or run it through the blender again.
- To make the vegan parm, combine all ingredients into a blender and pulse until you reach the consistency of regular parmesan cheese. (I use a Ninja nutribullet and it only takes 2 or 3 pulses.)
- To serve, place a handful of the zoodles in a bowl, top with desired amount of sauce, garnish with vegan parm and a basil leaf. Serve cold.
The finished product? A delicious, healthy, light twist on an Italian classic. I’ve been experimenting with no-meat balls, so look for that addition in the near future!
(I couldn’t find the exact spiralizer tool that I have, but this one looks pretty close, order it on Amazon here!)