Welcome to the future! Or 2018. Whichever you prefer is fine with me. But here’s something I do mind: resolutions. I hate them, to be quite honest. I don’t like the pressure they add, I don’t like giving myself a timeline… I prefer to just live and let whatever is going to happen, happen. BUT. That doesn’t mean there aren’t things I want to do this year. I don’t make specific resolutions like I see people posting about all over Facebook, I make general resolutions. Things I have to work towards, things to look forward to, and if they don’t happen, it’s okay. I don’t beat myself up over it. I never make a resolution about my body or eating habits, because I know I won’t keep up with it. I don’t make fitness resolutions. I don’t make money resolutions. I don’t make relationship resolutions. I just don’t do it. But I do make some, and here they are:
- Learn. About anything. About everything.
- Listen. Hear people when they tell a story. But do more-–listen to that story as if it’s the greatest story ever told.
- Believe. Believe people when they tell you their story. It’s probably true.
- Eat well. And by “well,” I mean, eat things I enjoy eating. Try new things. Enjoy them. Maybe do some more cooking, maybe not. Whatever.
- Travel. I’ve already made this list, and I’m going to try really hard to hit all the places. BUT if I don’t, that’s fine. I’ll get there eventually.
- Love myself better. That’s all.
- Worry less. This will be my hardest one, and the one I’ll really have to work at. I’ve got some plans in place already to help me manage stress and worry, and if they work, I’ll be sharing those soon enough.
- Be present. This goes along with worrying less, because if I’m worrying, I’m not in the moment. I’m somewhere else. And the only places that matters right now is right now.
- Sing louder. I’m not horrible, so your ears will be fine.
- Be happy. Just be as happy as possible. And for no other reason than simply being alive.
So, those are my resolutions. If you like them, take them. They’re for all of us. I’m not going to spend 2018 beating myself up over the 5 miles I didn’t run last week or the 6 cups of coffee I drank before noon. Nope. Not worried about it. See? There’s one thing checked off the list already.